Celebrating My Life of Living Well. Domestic and Otherwise.

Eat. Drink. Shop. Travel. Look. Learn.Experience.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Inspiration for Audrey's 5th birthday

My baby is turning 5 in a few days.
When I think of little girls , or see pictures of young girls playing, I always imagine they are five years old. I don't know what it is about this age that is so special and sentimental to me.

What I do know is that I can't let her usher in this year without a party befitting of a princess!


Initially we were thinking of having a tea party to mark the occassion. Her big sister had one when she turned 4 and I assumed the little one would want a similar soiree as well . My mistake. As soon as I brought it up she informed me that she was "too big na" for a tea party. My heart sobbed just a bit. She's too big? "You're never to old for a tea party I told her" thinking of the many afternoons I have spent over a pot of tea in gorgeously decorated rooms with my girlfriends.


But I decided to let her have her way. Something I know from experience I am going have to get used to now that she is a little lady.


So we sat down and planned out the different elements of her birthday party together. Well, mostly together, mother still knows best after all!


We started with color. I showed her a bunch of photos and these were her favorites.







I was beaming with pride after reviewing her selections. My girl's got taste!
Can you guess what her favorite color is?


Of course balloons for a birthday party are de rigueur but I have been toying with the idea of utilizing pom poms for a while . It seems as if they are the hottest thing right now in party decor. When and why did we ever stop using them? They are so festive and fun!

Check out Pom-love for more dazzling pom pom decor.


I have been waiting for one of my girls to have a birthday party since I discovered the Amy Atlas website and blog and all the images that I have collected since discovering the delight of the sweet treats table. Some people are just so creative . I'm so envious of their talent and take comfort in knowing that my own talent lies in appreciating their efforts!

Here are some of my favorite pictures of birthday treat tables although there are so many more I have come across during my on line research.

So many wonderful ideas to be had from just looking at these tablescapes.

How simple is this? Cookies, doughnuts, cotton candy and soda pop. Longtime familiar favorites set out in a delightful and winsome manner. Presentation is truly everything!

A few more tables that tempt!


After seeing these gorgeous photos below, it was decided that pink and gold would be the color theme for our dessert table.



Details, details... aren't they exquisite!

I loved this party set up too and really wanted to incorporate this idea into the celebration but we might have to wait for the 6th birthday for our own ice cream parlour bash.


And of course the cake. You all know my obsession with birthday cakes. I must admit my opinion definitely prevailed over this decision. Add it to the list of things she'll thank me for when she's older! This will be the centerpiece of our sweet treats table so it has to be special.

I am in love with the the idea of a framed silhouette ,ornamented with dainty flowers.


And of course there will be birthday hats !


And story telling!

And games too!



Fun will be provided by My Masterpiece

And don't forget the goody bags!

I really could have used this image three years ago when Audrey turned 2 and had her vintage ABC birthday as seen here. Aren't they precious?

And lots and lots of treats to take home!

One could really go crazy planning a birthday party! The possibilities are truly endless.


We can't wait for her party and will post photos next week!




























2 comments:

  1. What a lucky little angel! I LOVE, love, the pom-poms. It's like flowers and balloons got married... so cute. Can't wait to see the pics!
    -Sanity Fair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia! I'll definitely be dropping by every so often for all the eye candy over here. Coey was right : )
    -Nona/Nikka

    ReplyDelete